Friday, June 3, 2011

the bird is the word

As you might already know, I hate birds.  There's something about those little beady eyes and jerky head motions that creep me out.  I always catch birds looking at me and I just know they're thinking about dive bombing and pecking my eyes out.  Totally rational, I know.  Several years ago I was in Piazza San Marco, Venice and found myself surrounded by, what felt to be, millions of pigeons.  Yeh, I almost had a mental breakdown.

Anyways, last night James and I were playing on the floor of his room when I spotted a little bird right outside of his window.  Normally I would have just flicked the window to scare it away but I'm attempting to conquer my fears rather than pass them onto my child.  So, I grabbed my camera and started to take a picture of the bird on the other side of the window pane.

Here's the backside of the flying rat.  Oddly enough, the pattern of feathers on it's back seem to form the shape of a face.
The little fella even turned to give me a nice profile shot.

...and started showing off by opening it's mouth.  I think it was just taunting me at this point.

It even started to make some weird, gurgling noises...


I had one eye closed while looking through the viewfinder of my camera so I didn't see anything other than what was in the frame.  All of a sudden, I realized that the bird wasn't making noises at me...
I was pretty startled so juggled my camera and missed a few frames but it was just about 10 seconds of these two pecking each other...

I'm not sure if the brown bird is a baby cardinal and it was feeding time or if they were fighting - but I didn't see any worms being transferred into it's mouth.  I think my exclamation "holy shit!" broke up the altercation and eventually they both flew away.  (Sidenote:  I'm working on not passing my fears onto my child and will work on not swearing in front of him next.)

So, there's your ornithological piece for today.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WNrx2jq184

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!