Sunday, September 18, 2011

new shoes.

It's been several days since I've made an update on our mudroom & laundry room progress.   We finished everything up in the mudroom last week but I just haven't had a chance to take any pictures.  It's a shame that I waited to take pictures because there was a tragic accident with my camera today so it might be out of commission for a while.  By "tragic" I mean "got caught up while taking the stroller out of the trunk which led to the camera going flying which led to the camera smashing on the ground which led to my lens shattering.  Just thinking about it makes me ill.  Yeh, I know it's just a thing and it can be replaced...but it's a pretty damn expensive thing.  I have another lens but it isn't as versatile and will limit the types of pics I can take for a while.

Aaaaaanyways...that's the reason for the poor photos below.

Our mudroom started out like this...
We added a board and batten treatment to the walls and painted the top portion a chocolate brown.  (Side note:  the chocolate brown paint was an "ooops paint" find at Lowes for a whopping $2.50.  Yeh, $2.50 for an entire can of paint.)

We still have to hang some coat hooks and paint the doors but that will be a quick project one of these days.

As for the laundry room, it started out looking like this...
We painted the walls, stacked the washer/dryer, added some storage and built a tabletop for the long wall opposite the window.  The paint from this room was another "ooops paint" find for $5.00.  I guess I'll put my dollars saved on paint towards a new camera lens.

 The table top is just made out of a few tongue and groove boards.  We used liquid nails along with our nailer to secure them together and they are resting on top of some ugly storage cabinets.  To hide those cabinets, I used some discount fabric I bought a few weeks ago and made a skirt.  The skirt is secured to the underside of the table top with velcro so I can remove it easily if it ever needs to be washed or switched out.  (This is another shining example of the fact that I don't iron.  As the wrinkles are flattening themselves out, it has also come to my attention that I need to hem the skirt an inch or so.)  Oh, and we also need to re-hang the clothes rod as well as a few shelves in this room.  I'm not sure why this picture makes the skirt look mustard-y but it totally isn't in real life.  It's more of a lively, lime green.
 I also used some more of that discount fabric to make some curtains.  Again, horrible camera = horrible lighting = horrible picture but you get the idea...
So there's our mudroom and laundry room....approximately 83% done.

On a personal note, James got his first pair of sneakers today.  It's amazing how such a minor thing can make him look so much older.  Sigh....

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!